Monday, August 18, 2008

This I Believe...Revised

If there is one thing I believe in, its doctors. And I'm not saying that I always believe doctors, nor that anyone should, I'm just saying that I believe in these mystical people and the things they do for everyone, everywhere. These people who dedicate their lives to the lives of others, and ask for little in return, simply your trust.

The human body is so complex and it is astonishing that we can know so much about ourselves. We know of thousands of diseases that affect millions of people everywhere, and we even know how to treat or even cure some of these illnesses. I never thought doctors really deserved all the respect given to them, that is until my sister got sick. She was diagnosed with MS about 2 years ago and that was just the beginning

I trusted the people who took care of my sister, I believed in them which led me to believe them. When the doctors said the her hip bones were dying I thought that was impossible, but since I had such a firm belief in these people, I believed what the were telling me. If the doctors said they were dying it had to be so. The doctors went in with drills and put holes into her bones, hoping this would reinstate blood flow, they believed it would work, so I believed it would work. Unfortunately, it didn't. However, I didn't loose hope. Their next option was to completely remove the dead bones and replace it with a ceramic substitute. I continued to believe, and this time it paid off. She had both hips removed and replaced, and now she can stand, walk, and even chase her three year old child around her house.

Despite the fact that her need for new bones came from the steroids used to control part of her disease, I knew that the benefits outweighed the risk, and admire the people who were brave enough to decide something like that. I believed in my sisters doctors, and I believe that my belief helped everyone to overcome the challenges involved, and come out a better person and a better doctor.


2 comments:

Ace said...

good job. you're ready to practice.

Ace said...

45/50